The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Greg_L

Re: The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio

Post by Greg_L »

What he needs to do is make some modeling headphones because the rooms people mix in can render all of this fancy shit moot.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 am What he needs to do is make some modeling headphones because the rooms people mix in can render all of this fancy shit moot.
LOL no kidding!

I'm working on marketing a giant pallet filled with sheet rock, wood paneling, screws and mineral wool, called the "virtual DIY home recording studio". :)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I gotta say, as much as I like plugins/software, this is a bit much, even for me...I straddle the fence compared to a lot of guys the way I use software, but a lot of it is in necessity, I either don't have the gear (drums, new interface, mics for example), or I'm just not able to make that leap (from drum software to the real thing) because of space/$$$/whatever...I know I keep saying this, but eventually, someday I'll have the place where I can have & use a real drum kit, but for now, the software's gotta do...for now...I've even got so fed up with programming drums, that I'm on a mission to learn to play my e-kit, with the end result hopefully being that I just record the drums, then move onto the other instruments...

Myself, I'm not a big fan of the ez-rental plugin thing...Sure, you can get plugins that were previously un-obtainable, but are these plugins really worth the amount of $$$ some cost??? Yeah, I've spent $2-300 on software like Superior for example, but I just can't see throwing $$$ like that toward eq's/compressors/etc., when 99% of the time, stock plugins that come with a daw are more than adequate, & nobody will know or care if you used ReaComp (Reaper's stock compressor) or a $200 Waves/UAD compressor...

So, the "everything" price tag is $3 grand & after a year you have to renew your ez-rental contract, or just outright buy what plugins you want...Not gonna happen here in Hillbillyville, unless I get rich, which ain't gonna happen in reality...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 am What he needs to do is make some modeling headphones because the rooms people mix in can render all of this fancy shit moot.
I believe Waves already has software that lets you use your headphones to model rooms/etc so y uocan better mix on them....but I think you use whatever headphones you want. They just have software.

Minerman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 am
So, the "everything" price tag is $3 grand & after a year you have to renew your ez-rental contract, or just outright buy what plugins you want...Not gonna happen here in Hillbillyville, unless I get rich, which ain't gonna happen in reality...
Just in case you're thinking about it...:D...you don't pay $3k every year.
That's for the hardware package, the interface, all the mics, and use of all his plugs for a year.
After a year...the hardware, the mics and his preamp plugs are yours...the everything bundle of plugs you wold renew (I think it's something like $15/month and $180/year if I recall his email pitches)...or you can buy outright individual plugs without subscription.

TBH...for someone starting out...renting all those plugs may be a worthwhile thing...and then later decide to buy some or continue renting.
Like lets say you have a shit load of songs that are recorded and you want to mix/master them...you could rent all his plugs for 1-2 months...finish your mixing and mastering...and then stop renting.
I can see that as being appealing to some people.

AFA as the hardware...$2k for an 8-channel interface with 8 pres...is not that pricey...and $650 for 6 mics is also not that pricey.

I'm not pushing anyone on this stuff... :P....just saying that I can see the appeal for certain people.
I personally prefer to buy individual plugs...and I'm not that interested in modeling all my pres/mics.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

miroslav wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 am
Just in case you're thinking about it...:D...you don't pay $3k every year.
That's for the hardware package, the interface, all the mics, and use of all his plugs for a year.
After a year...the hardware, the mics and his preamp plugs are yours...the everything bundle of plugs you wold renew (I think it's something like $15/month and $180/year if I recall his email pitches)...or you can buy outright individual plugs without subscription.

TBH...for someone starting out...renting all those plugs may be a worthwhile thing...and then later decide to buy some or continue renting.
Like lets say you have a shit load of songs that are recorded and you want to mix/master them...you could rent all his plugs for 1-2 months...finish your mixing and mastering...and then stop renting.
I can see that as being appealing to some people.

AFA as the hardware...$2k for an 8-channel interface with 8 pres...is not that pricey...and $650 for 6 mics is also not that pricey.

I'm not pushing anyone on this stuff... :P....just saying that I can see the appeal for certain people.
I personally prefer to buy individual plugs...and I'm not that interested in modeling all my pres/mics.
I meant to get back with you on this dude, & that is a good point about the price of the interface & mics...Myself I was thinking more along the lines of a Tascam 1800 interface (whenever I'm able to make the jump to real drums that is), & some of the tried/true mics the guys here are already using...Not matter how I go about it, it's still gonna be quite pricey, but myself would go with what I've mentioned because I wouldn't wanna be tied into Slate's stuff as a "have to" thing...

I do have to say some of his plugins are pretty damn good, I have a few of them I've bought over the years, but the virtual studio thing really doesn't appeal to me personally...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: