Recording Vocals

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
JD01

Recording Vocals

Post by JD01 »

I was gonna ask Greg more stuff about his vocals but I don't want to spam his thread and incur the wrath of TK421.

Greg, mentioned a built in distortion in his compressor - which sounds plausible and good. A friend of mine recommended Red Light Dist as a vocal distortion - he's only a slightly better singer than me and his vocals sound pretty good.

At the moment I use a really old GearBox vocal preamp sim with the drive turned up quite a long way.. but I want to get away from this as I don't think its gonna work much longer and I need to plug my TonePort in to use it. I'd like to be able to track vocals totally dry and add effects afterwards. Can anyone recommend either a vocal distortion plugin or some sort of cheapo plugin I can use for vocals?

For compression, I just use one of Focusrite's compressors - 'cos its so easy to use. It has controls I understand (ratio, threshold, attack, release, gain) whereas Reaper's "Reatune" might as well be in Chinese.
Greg_L

Re: Recording Vocals

Post by Greg_L »

Download all of these. Free.
http://antress.blogspot.com/
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 am Download all of these. Free.
http://antress.blogspot.com/
Holy shit! That's brilliant. I had no idea that this existed.

Thanks.

Why on earth did I not know about this before? That should be a sticky!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 am Why on earth did I not know about this before?
Because you're a n00b! robus
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 am Why on earth did I not know about this before?
Because you're a n00b! robus
haha. Well, I've got them now. I'll have a play with them this weekend.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Ray gave me that link a while back and those plugins are great and FREE!!
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:33 am Ray gave me that link a while back and those plugins are great and FREE!!
Yeah, I think I'll kind of have option paralysis just browsing through them... one annoying thing though, they appear in their own window, not docked within the Reaper FX Window
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

Yeah, I think I'll kind of have option paralysis just browsing through them... one annoying thing though, they appear in their own window, not docked within the Reaper FX Window
What? WTF are you talking about? They should load up like any other plugin.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

What? WTF are you talking about? They should load up like any other plugin.
I'll show you now. Hang on
JD01

Post by JD01 »

See, what I mean. The Focusrite plug is nicely docked within the FX window but the Modern plugin floats around on top... and its always on top so you have to close it down separately after closing your FX window down
Reaper Screen Cap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's something in your own settings. Mine open in the fx window...or I can make it "always on top". Click that push pin looking thing and see what happens.

Mine are also an older version. Maybe it's something different.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Hmmm, I'll look into it later. In the office at the moment - I just had to install those plugs to take a quick look!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I think that's what happens with 64 bit plug-ins in a 32 bit DAW. I run REPAER 32 bit and I've had the same thing happen with 64 bit plugs. I can't remember what I did to get them to look lke any other plug-in, but there's an option for that.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

This might help:

https://www.osirisguitar.com/how-to-get ... fx-window/

You have to right click an effect to get to this menu.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:22 pm This might help:

https://www.osirisguitar.com/how-to-get ... fx-window/

You have to right click an effect to get to this menu.
Cheers rami. I'll take a look later.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

If you'd rather watch than read, here's a good, simple explanation. This is exactly what I had to deal with once upon a time, and this is exctly how I fixed it.[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/PzT-KJV7W7I[/BBvideo]
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Even though with my DAW, the 32 bit plugs will open the same as 64...when I upgraded to Win7 64...I made the decisions to only run 64 bit plugs.
There's too many PITA's with all the bridges and running both...most people will agree...pick one, and stick with it throughout for best performance.

If it doesn't come in 64...I don't bother with it. There's enough 64 bot stuff....redundantly so...that I don't need that on 32 bit plugs that just nothing else can replace (not that there really are any).
I don't even install 32 version of plugs that give you both...it just clutters up my screen to have to set to choose from...etc.

Granted...with freebies...sometimes you only get a 32 bit version.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:04 pm If you'd rather watch than read, here's a good, simple explanation. This is exactly what I had to deal with once upon a time, and this is exctly how I fixed it.[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/PzT-KJV7W7I[/BBvideo]
Cheers, that's great.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am See, what I mean. The Focusrite plug is nicely docked within the FX window but the Modern plugin floats around on top... and its always on top so you have to close it down separately after closing your FX window down

Reaper Screen Cap.JPG
If you look in the top right-hand corner of the Modern plugin, there's a little icon that looks lik a map pin. clicking that toggles between pinning it to the front, or letting it go behind the most recently clicked window. The 32-bit bridge window is an annoyance that you just have to click to make it go away.
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

MOST of the Modern Plugs click when I use them as in: run smoothly for 10 seco9nds then a wobble or something else like on/off. Any ideas?
Cheers
rayc