Vocal Range

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
JD01

Vocal Range

Post by JD01 »

Do you know what yours is? Just curious really.

I started tracking a Metallica cover today... and found out that James Hetfield actuallly sings really fucking high (for me anyway) it doesn't sound that high at first 'cos he manages to still sound really powerful. The chorus of Enter Sandman goes up to A4, I haven't got a prayer of getting there even screaming, I can just reach the F# or G with a full scream.

I've just tried singing it an octave lower and I sound like a combination of Lemmy and the bloke from Type-O-Negative.

Just checking - I can't actually get much lower than B2 with any sort of control either. That's really quite narrow isn't it?
Just did a vocal test - I can comfortably get from A2 - F4, Any more than that in either direction and I start to struggle.
https://playback.fm/vocal-range
Greg_L

Re: Vocal Range

Post by Greg_L »

I have a pretty wide range and don't sound good in any part of it, so I'm fine.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, I've just looked it up - I think I am a limited baritone! But weirdly, also a whiney baritone.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm not quite a bass... I can go as high but one note short on the low
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a range of three notes but some times I can't quite hit them.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

On a really good day my harmony vocals can hit maybe A or Bb on the top E string. (Based on the keys my songs are in - I'm guessing here without my guitar). But that's not sustained, just quick short vocal lines. My "lead" vocal would probably sit around the C - Eb range on 99% of my tunes (B string on guitar). In that range I can sing for probably 2-3 hours non stop without any strain. That's one reason I hate cover tunes - most of them are too high for my voice. For various reasons, people (me included) just won't transpose. However there's a huge issue with the "tone" and "playability" when you change AC-DC tunes to F#. Tuning down is an option but it's usually 1/2 tone which is still not enough.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I have a pretty typical tenor range from about B2(2nd fret on A string of guitar) to about a B4(7th fret on high E string of guitar) in full classical voice. With pop/rock music I can get higher depending on the type of song. With falsetto, I really don't know but I teach elementary school music and sing in my falsetto every day in their range. I think this is one thing that has helped me maintain my range over the years.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

My range is from F2 to E5. My voice just isn't what it used to be.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:11 pm My range is from F2 to E5. My voice just isn't what it used to be.
Hiya mate. How are You?

That's a great range!
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm
ocnor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:11 pm My range is from F2 to E5. My voice just isn't what it used to be.
Hiya mate. How are You?

That's a great range!
I'm hanging in there. I've been lurking around here but I havn't been posting much. I had some health issues to deal with but I'm doing ok now.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm
Hiya mate. How are You?

That's a great range!
I'm hanging in there. I've been lurking around here but I havn't been posting much. I had some health issues to deal with but I'm doing ok now.
Cool. Glad you're getting better. You're missed in the Tone Thread
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Just tracked down where I emailed my band about this 2 years back.
Apparently, I measured myself as A2 to D6? (With falsetto switch around E5)

I can never remember where the octave breaks are in this system.

You know who I learned can hit an E2 (i.e. the defining note for low bass) this weekend? Fricken' Lorde!