Bass - technique from YouTube

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Bass - technique from YouTube

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 am I've watched a few of that bloke's vid before - he didn't hold my interest for long - same with the long haired metal head. Mind you the metal head is far too genre specific and worried about the way his hair falls to hold my attention for 5 mins.
I'm also becoming fed up with youtube vid makes using the Torpedo cab sim stuff. I know it's easier, more manageable etc but it tells me that what I'm hear filtered through youtube production wasn't entirely real to begin with.
A lot of vloggers get flack for that jumpy, hyper-edited form of video where all the dead air is removed between sentences; takes are spliced together so that there's no pauses; the subject teleports around mid-sentence; etc. But I much prefer that technique to the 10 minutes of unedited video with all the umms and ahhs left in!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm ...I much prefer that technique to the 10 minutes of unedited video with all the umms and ahhs left in!
Sped-up playback is the greatest youtube feature ever:
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 9.45.31 AM.png

(BTW, this is the video where I grabbed that screenshot - it's pretty interesting in and of itself, the guy re-arranged the controls on his tele, and demonstrates how he can use those to do volume swells, etc. Pretty cool...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I do use the speed control all the time. Not great for tone demos tho! :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Oh the comments in this thread. Fucking priceless. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :like: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

"our bassist quit, and the other guitarist is better than me"
"It has fewer strings; seemed simpler."
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Hah! Someone answered "Because someone asked me to", which is the most stereotypical bassist answer!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Farview wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am It was always an answer to a problem that should have never existed in the first place.
Sorry I took so long to find this but, some time along, YES.
Cheers
rayc