Recording Slash....

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
rammer24

Re: Recording Slash....

Post by rammer24 »

Do you time align them in your DAW, or what you mic'dis what you get?

Oh, wait. Probably don't have to align them. You're not putting one close and one far. They're probably in phase right at the git go.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm Do you time align them in your DAW, or what you mic'dis what you get?

Oh, wait. Probably don't have to align them. You're not putting one close and one far. They're probably in phase right at the git go.
When it's two 57s I don't have to align anything if they're both jammed up to the grill. But I prefer the 57 and i5 together...and I can't remember which one it is now....but one of them has a capsule a little closer to the grill of the mic, so that one gets hit with noise a hair sooner. I'll usually slide whichever one is lagging up to meet the closer one. It's like a few ms. I'll just zoom way in on a transient spike common to both tracks and line them up. And that's only if I'm feeling super picky. Since they're never the same level in the mix, the minute phase difference doesn't really matter.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I think Farview always said that if one is 9db lower than the other, the phase isn't an issue.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

He's not really wrong, but I wouldn't neglect getting them in phase just because I know one's gonna be lower than the other.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Of course. Why not line them up anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If you listen to the vid up top again, you can hear that the 421 and 57 are placed near the center of each speaker and they're pretty damn bright. They'd probably need to be EQ'd pretty heavily to be used alone. But add in that R121, and boom, there's the low end and thickness. Juggle them around and you can end up with a killer sound with minimal EQ and it's just one actual take. No need for layering and shit...unless you just want to. That's how I approach serious keeper guitar tracks. One dark, one bright, blend to taste. It doesn't have to be that way, one mic is great, but two mics can be super duper.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I can see how you use 2 mics as an EQ in a sense. They are their own EQ.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:37 pm If you listen to the vid up top again, you can hear that the 421 and 57 are placed near the center of each speaker and they're pretty damn bright. They'd probably need to be EQ'd pretty heavily to be used alone. But add in that R121, and boom, there's the low end and thickness.
That's what I got with the two mics, one one each speaker in the 212.
One speaker had more thickness, and the other wasn't brighter, just more articulate in the high end...so when I blended them, with the more articulate one set about 5dB higher at the mixer channels...they sounded great.
THe mics were identical and so was the distance...nothing to time align.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:59 pm
That's what I got with the two mics, one one each speaker in the 212.
One speaker had more thickness, and the other wasn't brighter, just more articulate in the high end...so when I blended them, with the more articulate one set about 5dB higher at the mixer channels...they sounded great.
THe mics were identical and so was the distance...nothing to time align.
Yup, that'll work. There's all kinds of ways to do it. Dark mic in a bright placement, bright mic in a dark placement, dark speaker blended with bright speaker, whatever.

It's like a lot of metal guys will spot mic a speaker straight on, and put an off axis literally right next to it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Check out these settings...

That cranked knob on the far left is the power scaling. That's like a built in attenuator. It's full power.

Master vol - 8
Gain - 4-5

That fucking thing is LOUD!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Fucking Christ. I just re-started my computer because I kept pressing the "Play" arrow and couldn't understand why the video wouldn't play. LOL!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:lol: :lol:

Gotcha!
Rebel Yell