Any tips to tighten up double-tracked guitars?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
SweetDan

Re: Any tips to tighten up double-tracked guitars?

Post by SweetDan »

Lol, I'm using a pick. I sometimes roll my (right) hand counter-clockwise a few degrees for certain up-stroke rhythm patterns.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

SweetDan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 am Lol, I'm using a pick. I sometimes roll my (right) hand counter-clockwise a few degrees for certain up-stroke rhythm patterns.
Is it rubbing the strings? I can't imagine that wouldn't make unwanted noise.

Anyway, I echo the practice suggestions. And not just practicing this part, but practicing scales and chord progressions with a metronome regularly will improve your timing. Start as slow as you can do it perfectly and build up your speed. I know this sounds elementary and boring but it will pay dividends later.

I also agree with Greg that the second part does not need to exactly mirror the first. Slight differences are what makes double tracking interesting.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I hit the woodshed for a few days there...my playing on this is getting better, I hope.
I updated the starter post on this thread with links to old and new takes.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yep, better.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 am I hit the woodshed for a few days there...my playing on this is getting better, I hope.
I updated the starter post on this thread with links to old and new takes.
Sounds much better, mate. But they sound like they've got a nearly identical tone so that you can't tell them apart in the mix!
Try changing guitars, mic placement or pedal between takes - anything really to keep it the similar but different.
How far apart are they panned?
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

About 68% on either side.

They are different guitars; single-coil (bridge) on one side, humbucker (also bridge) on the other.

They're also different settings on my Vox modeling amp; one side is a model of a fender twin or deluxe or something, the other a 70's-era marshall. I have notes in my project in the DAW, but I'm not at my home computer now, and I don't recall which guitar I played through which amp model. I suppose if I sent the "thin" guitar to the "thick" amp (e.g., tele into the marshall model), and the inverse for the doubled part, maybe the sound differences cancel each other out...? Not only that, it's the same speaker (10") and same mic positions. But yeah, examining those differences is something for me to check out; thanks.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's good then. You're doing everything right. Getting your playing nice and tight and adjusting the sound side to side. I just always play my left and right guitars keeping everything the same but use a different drive pedal in the front of the amp for each one - they have a very different character. I don't use much gain from the pedals, mainly use them as a level boost.

I've actually just put my left and right guitars in the last page of The Tone Thread. Left guitar is an through a full tone OCD and is quite bright and agressive, the right guitar is through a Boss SD1 and is warmer and smoother.

try hard panning the guitars and see if you like it.