CD Baby / YouTube

A safe place for newbies. Stop in here to ask all your questions, no matter how silly they seem. Just don't ask us if you can sing!
Armistice

CD Baby / YouTube

Post by Armistice »

I'm putting this here because I can't think of where else to put it...

I recently was looking for the single YouTube video that I made with The Jongleurs - to show someone that I hadn't seen for 15 years - and while I was searching I became aware that some time in 2015, CD Baby, who do the dig distribution for the band, had made a YouTube clip (ie. just the album cover) for pretty much every song on the album.

I don't recall giving them permission for that, and seeing the videos all have ads on them, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be getting some revenue - not that any of the videos have had more than 10 or so plays - I could use that extra $0.01 that 1000 YouTube spins will get me... :biggrin:

Any of you use CD Baby and had them do the same thing? I don't know whether to be grateful to them, or angry with them. :suspicious:

Here's what I mean:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhO7wYHUKs[/BBvideo]

And probably on the right hand side you'll spot a few others.
Greg_L

Re: CD Baby / YouTube

Post by Greg_L »

Yup, my albums are the same - split into singles on youtube. CD Baby does this as part of their "distribute everywhere" option.

If you don't want that to happen, you need to uncheck that box when uploading the album. I don't know if it's possible to undo after the fact.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

WOW! That's weird. I don't think they did that with any of my tunes. At least, I can't find any.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yeah, thanks Greg - I figured they weren't doing anything I hadn't given them permission to do - but it took them a year and half to get to it. Oh well, at least I don't have to make any videos now...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm WOW! That's weird. I don't think they did that with any of my tunes. At least, I can't find any.
Maybe you didn't tick the right box... or maybe CD Baby don't like you much?

I have a special relationship with them. I give them complete control and they never pay me any money ever, as I set the payment threshold too high. You don't get THAT sort of service unless you're special... :lollers:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 am Maybe you didn't tick the right box... or maybe CD Baby don't like you much?
It's been a long time, but I always clicked "Sell everything everywhere" or whatever it was. Maybe they listened to my stuff at the time and said "Don't bother". :D
I have a special relationship with them. I give them complete control and they never pay me any money ever, as I set the payment threshold too high. You don't get THAT sort of service unless you're special... :lollers:
LOL! I have mine set at $20. I just got money yesterday....for the first time in about a year. :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Thanks for your replies...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Thanks
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Interesting. DistroKid uses the exact same format when they upload generic videos for your songs.
(Our vocalist emailed me to express surprise that someone had already ripped off our songs to upload to YT when he found it!)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've found my shit on Russian torrrent sites.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I found my CD on YT split into singles. Error when I open any of them. Maybe because I paid the original $39 but never anything to CD Baby after that.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am I'm putting this here because I can't think of where else to put it...

I took the channel link aboce the description and it took me to some VHS a Capella band.
A Capella without audio I might ad.
Have you been playing around David?
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnEUL2R13w[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:43 am
Armistice wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am I'm putting this here because I can't think of where else to put it...

I took the channel link aboce the description and it took me to some VHS a Capella band.
A Capella without audio I might ad.
Have you been playing around David?
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnEUL2R13w[/BBvideo]
Apparently we weren't the only one with the name... I've avoided listening to any of the faux Jongleurs stuff to this point... I don't think I want to click on that video... :eep:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well done David, the results of clicking wouldn't be pretty.
Cheers
rayc