Understanding the line outputs...

A safe place for newbies. Stop in here to ask all your questions, no matter how silly they seem. Just don't ask us if you can sing!
raphazzz

Understanding the line outputs...

Post by raphazzz »

Dear friends,

Could you help me understand better the function of the line outputs? I know you can connect different monitors but how to use them with other peripherals?

For example, the focusrite 18i20 has a lot of outputs, how to use it with other mic pre? It means I will have two pre amps working on that signal(the mic pre and the interface pre)?

I think my doubt is related to the routing of peripherals.

Thanksssss
ido1957

Re: Understanding the line outputs...

Post by ido1957 »

The manual says the outputs can be used for additional powered monitors or FX units. Summing mixer also probably.

LINE OUTPUTS 3 and 10 – eight balanced analogue line outputs on ¼” (6.35 mm) jack sockets;
use TRS jacks for a balanced connection or TS jacks for unbalanced. The signals available at
these outputs are defined in Focusrite Control, and can typically be used for driving alternative
speakers (i.e., midfield, nearfield, etc.), the additional speakers in a multichannel monitoring
system, or to drive outboard FX processors.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Re: Understanding the line outputs...

Post by Tadpui »

When using the line inputs and outputs, Focusrite's control panel software will be key. I watched a friend of mine do some routing with it (he has an 18i20), and it confused the heck out of me. I'd have to spend some time with it to figure out how to route signals in and out of it. But getting to know that software will pay off in a big way when you get to the point of including outboard hardware in your signal chain.

Depending on what DAW you're using, you can probably route signals in and out of the line inputs/outputs from there as well. With my RME TotalMix software, it's a matter of using the DAW and TotalMix together to get signals in and out. I'm still learning how to do that efficiently...