Reaper tempo question...

A safe place for newbies. Stop in here to ask all your questions, no matter how silly they seem. Just don't ask us if you can sing!
Armistice

Reaper tempo question...

Post by Armistice »

I always feel like a noob in Reaper so I'll ask here - help get the numbers up so real noobs won't go "WTF!" and run away.

So in Greg's "What are you working on..." thread I mention this reverse delay thing I'm doing.

Because there's only so much granularity in the delay repetition times available in the pedal, I have to match the tempo in Reaper to the rhythm being set up by the pedal delays. Should be just maths, but it's proving difficult to get an exact match.

Simple enough, you'd think, to set the pedal up, hit the record, do a quick loud muted chord, watch the echoes in the wave and just adjust the Reaper song tempo to match - using a MIDI drum/metronome track I'd put there. However whenever I did this, it adjusted the tempo of the recorded audio track as well. Annoying. And I can see how to restore the track to 1.0000, which is what I was doing, but that was a pain.

So next I worked out how to change the basis of the recorded audio so it was set to "time" rather than "beats", via the Item properties dialogue, after I'd recorded it, which solved the immediate problem and I can now dick around with the BPM without affecting that guide audio track, but what I want to know is whether there's a default that allows me to set all recorded audio to "time" rather than beats, whilst keeping "beats" as the default for MIDI tracks (drums / keyboards) so I don't have to make the change on a track by track basis.

I can see why they don't do it out of the box, but I'm not a "vary the tempo of recorded audio" type of a guy, although I've heard people slow up and speed down entire songs by doing this.

I can just see that when I get further into the track I might think I should change the tempo by (say) a few thousands of a BPM and I'll stuff up all the recorded audio. And yes, I know I can go and reset it track by track, but I'd really rather not.

Possibly this is really easy, but as usual, I'm at work when I'm thinking about it and I'm nowhere near Reaper! :biggrin:
Tadpui

Re: Reaper tempo question...

Post by Tadpui »

Try looking under the Project menu and see if you can set that option for the whole project instead of for an individual track.

I would try it myself, but my recent adoption of a password manager is in its infancy and I can't remote desktop into my computer downstairs until I get them on the same page with my credentials. And you know...like...stairs. Ugh. I can't even. :spacepalm:

I'll be down there tomorrow morning and I'll see if I can find that specific setting.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 am Try looking under the Project menu and see if you can set that option for the whole project instead of for an individual track.
This ^^^^

File > Project settings > Project settings tab > Timebase for items/tempo

OR....

Instead, use a delay plug in that syncs with project tempo.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:40 am
This is why I always use my effects in the daw instead of running them through an amp, it's just so much easier for me...

You should be able to find what you need in the project settings Armistice...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I learned something here about time vs beats, thanks!

As far as the tempo goes and delay, I use delay quite often. I usually play the part and adjust the click so its close then use the ole fashioned tap tempo to get it all the way there.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 am Try looking under the Project menu and see if you can set that option for the whole project instead of for an individual track.
alt+enter (windows) brings up the project settings, the option to set the project default is there. You can also "save as project default settings" for all future projects.
But that will be all tracks in the project and won't distinguish between midi and recorded tracks.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:40 amOR....

That's the one. I always use Kaujerhaus (I can never remember how to spell it) "Classic Delay". I almost always set it to sync with the tempo. Just got to choose quarter notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, etc.....
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 am I learned something here about time vs beats, thanks!

As far as the tempo goes and delay, I use delay quite often. I usually play the part and adjust the click so its close then use the ole fashioned tap tempo to get it all the way there.
Tap tempo on the pedals, not in Reaper.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

All good info, thanks guys... the problem is getting the timing right, it's getting Reaper to behave as I want it to. Seems there's no global solution. At least I know!

And I want to use this particular sound on this particular pedal, so can't use a plug.

Cheers
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 pmThat's the one. I always use Kaujerhaus (I can never remember how to spell it) "Classic Delay". I almost always set it to sync with the tempo. Just got to choose quarter notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, etc.....
Yeah, I use that one too for ITB delay, specifically if it has to be synced to the grid.